Morning Music

Art, cultural, and music, share creative things that you love!
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

So lately, my companions have decided that I need morning music. I wake up with songs in my head - and they set the tone for the day, but they are also messages for me.

I was writing about this morning's musical selection, and realized that I really needed to start a thread for these experiences - sometimes the messages are SO deep, and sometimes there are questions that need to be explored - and why not share those questions and explore them with all of you?
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series
User1265455
Patron Deities: Paimon, Asmoday, Leviathan, Azazel, Amducius
Your favourite Demon?: Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 12

This morning's music is Lonely Ghosts by O+S.

I've been watching Dollhouse again. If you've never seen Dollhouse, it's a Whedon show from 2009/2010 - the show only had two seasons, but in that time, it discusses what it really means to be human, the impact of technology on humanity and politics, the fear of technology and politics in the wrong hands causing apocalyptic consequences (which I find particularly relevant in today's political climate the world over), and how much of a soul is tied to the personality - whether or not memory makes you you, or your spirit makes you you.

Honestly, the show is so freaking deep that you absolutely CANNOT watch the series just once. You HAVE to watch it multiple times to really get all the layers happening.

Lonely Ghosts was the song that tied together the themes in the episode, "Needs," and the lyrics talk about how we have difficulty changing - "the devil that you know/is better than the one you don't/so like lonely ghosts/at a roadside cross/we stay because we don't know where else to go."

I really can't talk about this song's impact without including Dollhouse references because honestly, the two are so tied together in my mind that any time this song plays in my head, it's partially a reference to the overarching themes of the show - and sometimes more specifically that episode.

How often do you ignore your own needs, because it's just too damned scary to move, so you'd rather be empty where you are? How often do you choose to lose, because change MIGHT be a win, or you might lose more - so the emptiness of now is more palatable?
"She’s all the unsung heroes who... never quit." ― R. A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” ― William Shakespeare, Hamlet
“Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”
― H.L. Mencken, Prejudices: First Series

Return to “Art, Culture, & Music”