Setting Up Altars/ Alternatives For Altars

The answers to the questions our Coven has been asked. Don't see your question? Feel free to ask! :)

Moderator: Akelta

Lycana
Patron Deities: Lucifer, Diana, Belial, Naamah, Sobek, Juno, Hethert etc
Your favourite Demon?: arachne, spectral, hellborn, void, mutilation. serpentine and tempest

The follow are the different sort of shrines and altars I have. Different styles suite different needs.

1. one large general altar. This is my working altar.

2. A meditation altar. This altar is all about me and my connections and is set up near my desk with crystals and candles that are pertinent to my particular spiritual path and being.

3. Large shrines. These are generally for my deities and fill small tables and bookshelves.

4. open companion shrines. These are shrines that are set on a shelf of a bookcase or some sort or on a table. They have an elevated altar or riser on which the vessel and often a primary crystle (usually a crystal skull) or poppet that represents them. around this are placed other offerings, offerings bowls, candles etc. It looks similar to a Large deity shrine but the set up allows more than one to put on the same shelf to maximize space.

5. Hanging shrine boxes. These can be found on etsy. They are also useful for the table top if you don't want to hang them. The space within and on the box holds the vessel, candle, incanse and all other offerings. It is a small but intimate space for the companion

6.ornament hanger. Hang the vessel from an ornament hanger and set a couple of candles around it. Covert shrine that looks more decorative to the passerby.

Now I don't have this last one BUT it is an idea that I had which I think would be great for those with minimal space and/or who really want something very covert for their practice.

7. Have minimal space (or are in the closet) but want to have a companion altar and shrine. Get a book case. Keep the top shelf clear except for candle holders (incense burner can be stashed in a ritual box). For your companions, get a book box for each of them (these are boxes fashioned to look like faux books... they come out in a lot of different styles, there are some neat Halloween skeleton ones right now at Michaels. Use this like you would a traveling shrine with their crystals etc in it... mount the vessel in it and decorate the interior. Close the book once everything is secure and put on one of the shelves of your bookcase. You can have a bookcase full of covert shrines tucked away like books beneath the main altar. When you want to spend some time with one, pull out book, open it and set it up on the top shelf, light candles, put out incense etc.

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”