Angelique Kidjo

Art, cultural, and music, share creative things that you love!
Passchendaele
Patron Deities: none (yet)
Your favourite Demon?: Beelzebub, Lucifer, Lord Satan, Marquess Marchosias
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Angelique. Kidjo. Is. A. Goddess.

There, I said it. For those of you familiar with her music, I don't need to explain myself. For those of you not familiar with her music, You poor things, I am so, so sorry. Here, let me help you....

Ms Kidjo is from Benin and sings many of her songs in Fon, Gen or Yoruba. But also in French and English, sometimes all in one song! She is beyond superstar status in Africa and Europe. Just hugely huge. In the U.S. She has more of a cult following and It always surprises me that she is not well know here. She is one of those musicians to which I can say, if you can't dance to Angelique Kidjos songs, it's because you are dead.

Her creativity is a wonder to behold. What she does with vocals....Let me give you an example, she does a cover of Jimi Hendrix's “Voodoo Child” with vocals alone in place of the guitar work. You have to hear it to believe it. The first time I heard it, it gave me goosebumps, just stunning.

Full Disclosure: She is one of my top three celebrity crushes, but that has not affected my judgement in any way. No sir! Just because I would crawl over my dead granny to ask her to marry me should prove how objective I can be about her!

She probably would not be well disposed toward a guy who would crawl over his dead grandmother to ask her to marry him, but that just might be a function of how long my grandmother has been dead. If she just died, like, maybe a few hours before I crawled over her, maybe it would not be too bad, if she has been dead two or three weeks, well...Yuck. That would really take all the romance out of it. That and she is already married and so am I, but...oh, never mind...nobody understands me anyway ( sulk, pout, frown) :saddevil:

Albums: Logozo
Aye
Fifa
Oremi
Black Ivory Soul
Oyaya!
There are others, but these are the ones I have heard so far Her African and European releases are harder to find on this side of the pond.
"Push something hard enough...and it will fall over."
Fudds First Law Of Opposition

“All art that is not mere storytelling or mere portraiture is symbolic...If you liberate a person or a landscape from the bonds of motives and their actions, causes and their effects...it will change under your eyes, and become a symbol of infinite emotion, a perfected emotion, a part of the Dark Divine Essence.”

William Butler Yeats

(The italicized word “dark” is my addition.)

Return to “Art, Culture, & Music”