View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Satan and Sons Store     The Chat Room     Demon Encyclopedia     Satan and Suns Blog     Twitter     Facebook     Newsletter 

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bringing Home Gus 

Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Belial, Lucifer
Number of Demon Familiars: 69
Aww thank you everyone, yes he is quite big, bigger than I thought ... my mom has a mastiff so when I saw him I didn't realize he isn't a medium dog LOL I was glad I got one of the large beds, he fits perfectly on it.

H_Wright wrote:
Back on my computer where I can type. I shared Trey's picture and a little info before. He was the huge doberman boy. When his mom was dying she yelled at him and hit him thinking he was not her dog and was going after her. He never left her side. He watched her body get taken away, her belongings and finally he was taken away from his home and everybody he knew. When we got him in my son's room, where he would be staying to recover, we couldn't walk in without him lunging at us. I had to walk in literally backwards without looking at him and slip a lead on him to get him outside to potty. Very very slowly increasing my interaction until I was on the bed and he put half his body up there with me and laid down on my legs. Ahhh, sweet success. He bonded with my son also pretty quickly. BUT, he always had that I can get in your personal space, you can't get in mine mentality, and we just had to learn that was just him, and love him for it.

He went up to Ohio to a rescue that is wonderful with placing senior dogs. He was loved by his foster family until somebody finally found the shine in his ruff. Hehe. His adoptive mom brought him home and called back 3 days later saying how she just couldn't do it. She couldn't get through to him and he obviously didn't trust her and didn't like her. We told her what to expect, but I guess she didn't believe it. We begged her, give him 2 weeks. Gave her instructions on how to slowly break through on his own terms. By that time if you still can't bond with him we'll come get him. She agreed. It didn't take that long. She found HIS way to make him comfortable, confident, learn to trust her, bond with her, love her. She knew she succeeded when he came to her while she was crying and plopped his baby down on her lap. They say dogs live in the moment and after fostering too many to count dogs, I know that is not the truth. These dogs get scars deeper that we could ever imagine. Even some of the young ones, never fully can break through that scar tissue, like my Andy. But most do, and become that "heart dog". The one that you can never imagine never having in your life. Every single one of them teaching us a lesson that we call needed to learn, sometimes painfully, sometimes gently, but ALWAYS a lesson nevertheless. Trey didn't have much time left after he was adopted. He was euthanized at 13 years old from bloat, but his spirit got to transition being a loved family pet because she found the beauty in his uniqueness and we all knew he was worth the extra time it took to bond.

Gus will grow every day and you'll grow along with him. There may be set backs. He'll start to wonder what buttons he can push, what can he get away with? You'll wonder what the hell were you thinking, and then you'll remember, oh ya! That's what I was thinking, when you look at him and see the pure love he has for you because YOU are the one that saved him.

This made me cry and that's so beautiful you gave Trey that chance. Akelta helped so much and hearing what you say is helping so much too. I didn't know that could happen that they would give up like that. We always had shelter dogs or strays/free dogs when I was growing up but they were more socialized with people than Gus is. I am starting to see things I need to work with him on but I am also seeing his personality more. I am getting a crash course in the way dogs think and act LOL ... I can tell right now he doesn't fully trust me. I know I am going to have to work up to that point with him and I am just trying to be patient and consistent. Every new thing he does I am researching ways to handle it and reading dog training and behavior books lol

And this:

H_Wright wrote:
They say dogs live in the moment and after fostering too many to count dogs, I know that is not the truth. These dogs get scars deeper that we could ever imagine. Even some of the young ones, never fully can break through that scar tissue, like my Andy. But most do, and become that "heart dog".

I look at his head and the marks on him and think, how could anyone do this to another living thing? And he is still so sweet, even after what he's been through, which I can only imagine ... he winces sometimes when I reach to pet him, it makes me sad. I'm going to do the best I can with him. He is already warming up. They said at the shelter he doesn't like playing with toys, he is more interested in his 'people'. Honestly, I think he had separation anxiety and was just terrified at the shelter. He loved the ball I got him, he plays so well with it that I went and got him more toys today and it was the cutest thing. I have pictures I will put at the end of this ... he is already acting more like a big puppy.

Thank you for that also, two weeks, yeah I can get him into a routine which I think he needs and seems to like so far. I have seen so much improvement from him in just a few days. I know he is older, he is 6 so breaking some of the habits or getting him to stop and listen (he seems a bit stubborn as well LOL) I am just going to do the best I can with him.

Satan's Hellcat wrote:
He's a beautiful dog....and those gorgeous pleading eyes! He wants to be loved, wants a pack leader to make sure he is cared for and okay. Someone to give him a family and set some limits. I did not know Akelta was so good with animals! :D I am so glad you brought him home. He got the perfect human, and he will learn and grow calm and confident by seeing his master calm and confident! He is a little like a Demon. You will get out what work you put into your relationship a hundredfold!

Aww thank you SH, she is amazing with animals and he is like a little demon! LOL He reminds me of one of my mutilation demons and we were calling him my mutilaiton Demon's name as a nickname :lol: I was reading about the confidence, pack leader thing. I studied it and I'm doing things to show I am the pack leader and he seems to be responding really well to it. I will be putting in as much as I can with him. He is part of the family now so he is going to be spoiled like the cats and all the demons are haha

H_Wright wrote:
Satan's Hellcat wrote:
*laughs* I was looking again at the pictures, and noticed the white cord above his head in picture 4 looked like an angel's halo!

:) I didn't notice that either. He probably THINKS he's an angel. Lol

ROFL omg that is so cute, I didn't notice that either. My house is still in a weird state, putting things away and getting new furniture haha I don't know about him being an angel but he is awfully cute :lol:

Pictures of him with his new toys lol I think he likes them. He took one out of the bag while I was trying to carry it in and couldn't wait to play.

Attachment:
IMG_3891.png
IMG_3891.png [ 553.74 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_3892.png
IMG_3892.png [ 514.42 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]

:tentangry:

If I show up wearing a bag, even if it’s in style, I’m still going to be a bitch in a bag ~Akelta

"oh this is so wonderful, I need to find a way to have one inside me!" ~Velca

Image HVS 4 Life

Sun May 14, 2017 5:16 pm
SINNER of the month

The shelter can be a hard place to adopt from, especially an older dog, which is why they are so often looked over, or looked right through and not given a thought. You are a special person for adopting an older dog. It is not always easy, which is why I often suggest for people to adopt from rescue, to free up a foster for another shelter dog. There have been a few easy ones, but most that I have fostered require a lot of confidence building. When I help new foster parents I always tell them to set their pup up to succeed always! Take no out of your vocabulary, honestly forever because it means nothing to dogs. Just like a toddler, redirect, redirect, redirect. Instead of this do this. If you haven't heard of clicker training, it is so easy and fun for them to learn. Especially if you have a food or toy motivated dog. I use the word "yes" as my marker because it is easy to say the say the same way every single time, instead of fumbling with a clicker. I'm kind of clumsy so reaching for a treat, marking the behavior and treating all within 3 seconds can be a little much for me, so I just "yes" and treat. It takes them no time at all to click in their brains, this behavior gets me praise and treats. I'm a good boy when I do this. You're going to have so much fun and bonding with just a little bit of training every day and he'll be a confident, well adjusted dog in the end.

Mon May 15, 2017 4:58 am
SINNER of the month

It wouldn't let me edit my last post. I love his wiggly pics! Isn't it funny some dogs just don't know how to play? I had to teach my Andy using treat balls. Some just automatically know, this looks like a fun thing to do, I think I'll thrash this rope around and throw it in the air.

Mon May 15, 2017 5:01 am

Patron Deities?: Loki
Your favourite Demon?: Marbas, Sitri
Number of Demon Familiars: 4
Aww what a cutie!

Mon May 15, 2017 6:13 am
SINNER of the month

Patron Deities?: Aranunna, Marduk, Anubis, Horus
Your favourite Demon?: Still Learning This
Number of Demon Familiars: 0
What a beautiful story, I have brought shelter dogs home more than once and it is very similar situations. They don't know how to act really, or what is normal in life so it will take time for him to fully trust that this is his new home. One of the best dog people (INMHO) is Cesar Millan, he has a ton of youtube videos on anxiety with dogs etc, and since he works with dogs that tend to have high drives it might help a little. Things will be just fine.
you did a good thing by rescuing him and providing him with a new lease on life...

Tue May 16, 2017 6:10 am
SINNER of the month

Patron Deities?: Azazel Rosier
Your favourite Demon?: Azazel Satan Rosier Babael Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 23
Eilana when you have some Time because ' I Know its Busy for You post Some pictures of Gus He really is a Beautiful Dog He looks So happy from ' The Pictures here that's always good having a go lucky Happy Pet is a Joy by itself :whip:

Thu May 25, 2017 11:42 am

Your favourite Demon?: I have a few
Number of Demon Familiars: 4
Awwww that is such an amazing story. I actually teared up. I have a soft spot for animals. You are very lucky to have Akelta there to help you. I'm happy everything is going well and especially happy you got to bring gus home. You mentioned nobody even inquired about him, that's sad. Thankfully you were there to save his life and bring him home. :devillove:

Thu May 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Number of Demon Familiars: 0
omg Eilana, your dog has such energy! What a beauty - those eyes, they are so measuring, like his entire being is in them and he's desperate to please you.
He is going to be so attached to you - that one will die for you. And I know people say that about all dogs but I don't.

Thu May 25, 2017 3:50 pm

Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Belial, Lucifer
Number of Demon Familiars: 69
@H, thank you, I have heard that from a few people now in the last few weeks. I see his behavior getting better and I have gotten more in tune with him. I know when he is nervous and what makes him nervous and yes! LOL I have been trying to redirect but I am kind of clumsy at times with grabbing treats (And yes he is very food motivated and loves treats, so training is going very well lol) so I can relate. I have yet to get a clicker, though I am definitely reading up on and probably will get one my next trip to the pet store when I get him more treats :lol:

@Loka, thank you <333 heehhee I love him so much

@DD, thank you, I am definitely going to look more at what he does. I remember watching his show a few years ago, though I didn't have a dog that was mine or that I was training, I thought how he understood them and was able to work with them was nothing short of amazing

@Nefer, thank you, I am very lucky and she helped me a lot. He is doing very well and she has advised me on more things to train him with and how to handle some of his behaviors that have been coming up as I get to know him more. I couldn't believe it either! He's such a sweet boy, I really can't imagine my life without him now lol I am so glad I brought him home

@Cor, awwww thank you and yes he is very attached to me LOL I was reading about the two types of dogs he is a mix of and they are both guard dogs. I see their behaviors coming out in him and it's so adorable. We're still working on separation anxiety, since I can't take him everywhere I go lol even though he would prefer it that way I think. I love his eyes and when he hears something and cocks his head ... I got a video of it at the vet but I don't think I can post videos on here lol it just makes me laugh and is so cute I can't stand it.

@velle, thank you so much and yes hehehe I took some while we were playing outside. I take him out everyday and let him run around and play fetch, I have a fenced in yard but he doesn't like being out there without me.

Just a normal day out

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.52.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.52.36 AM.png [ 527.48 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

Right before a long car ride, he has his harness on. I try to get him tired out so he is calmer in the car lol we are working on car rides and I have to double buckle him because he somehow undoes the seatbelt x_x

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.52.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.52.51 AM.png [ 814.18 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.53.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.53.00 AM.png [ 762.66 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

:tentangry:

If I show up wearing a bag, even if it’s in style, I’m still going to be a bitch in a bag ~Akelta

"oh this is so wonderful, I need to find a way to have one inside me!" ~Velca

Image HVS 4 Life

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 am
SINNER of the month

:) He definitely has some shepherd in him. I always say they are too smart for their own britches breed of dog. Lol

I am not a fan of CM because I don't think he is very positive in his training and to the layperson can make for a very dangerous situation. Honestly, even for the professionals. I think for a reactive dog this can put both the owner and dog into a very bad situation and make a reactive dog more reactive. If he has any reactivity I recommend CARE. You can google CARE for reactive dogs and it will be the first link. I have used this with numerous "red zone" dogs with amazing results in helping them find their confidence.

I don't use a clicker either. I'm way too clumsy. Lol I use the word "yes" as my "marker". Just much easier for me to say rather than fumble with the clicker within a split second. I usually start off with things they are doing anyway, ie when they lie down, catching the behavior as they are doing it to match it to a word (command), like good down, good sit, good touch (touch with nose), etc. They catch on so darn quick to easy to use commands without even thinking about it. Very similar to how we learn as children. I love catching them doing good behavior. ;)

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next