*Mailbag* How do I begin learning about magick?

The answers to the questions our Coven has been asked. Don't see your question? Feel free to ask! :)

Moderator: Akelta

Akelta
Goddess of the Void
Patron Deities: Satan, Lucifer, Mammon, Azazel, Andras, Paimon, Leviathan, Unsere, The Family
Your favourite Demon?: Tiger, High Prince H, Bear, Oblivion, Quasar, Prince V, Venom, Cadaver, My Family
Number of Demon Familiars: 66

Q: How do I begin on this path learning about magick?

A: I have been wanting to do a topic on this for a long time as I get asked this a lot. Magick doesn’t happen instantly, it involves a lot of work and study. Reading and studying, as forming any path requires quite a lot of that! It’s good not to pigeon hole yourself too early as you may end up feeling unfulfilled. You are doing the right thing- exploring many different sites and fields of study. You will find *your path* this way and it’s ok if it is different to everyone else's!

Besides Satan and Suns, another good website is http://www.demonolatry.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. This website is packed with information on demonolatry, Satan and how to respectfully practice walking with the Demonic. Their site focuses on Demonolatry and they have many amazing books that are great for building a solid foundation for working with and connecting with demons.  

~The Complete Book of Demonolatry by S. Connolly
~The Demonolatry Goetia by S. Connolly
~The Keys of Ocat by S . Connolly
~Infernal Colopatiron - S. Connolly

To name a few….

Michael Ford https://www.amazon.com/Books-Michael-W- ... 0W.%20Ford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is another Author who published a lot of really great foundational books for those interesting in the Left Hand Path..

~ Luciferian Witchcraft,
~ Liber Hvhi
~ Adamu: Luciferian Tantra and Sex Magick
~ Beginning Luciferian Magick

Here are a couple of sites that tend to publish really good books on the left hand path, though be aware, the LHP definition encompasses HUNDREDS of paths!

http://www.nephilimpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: A good general grimoire publishing site on dark LHP

http://www.aeonsophiapress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: for darker black magick and anti cosmic theurgical books.

http://www.scarletimprint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: this is a very good broad based publisher and also offers e books of many of its publications including Jake Stratton Kent's books.

http://www.primalcraft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: This is Mark Alan Smith's personal publishing company where he discusses the darker aspect of Hekate in such books as Queen of Hell, The Red King and Scorpion God.  Mark Alan Smith is a genius and is incredible in his work on the Darker Paths. He is amazing to learn from.

http://www.ixaxaar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: a bit pricey as grimoires go, however, their stuff is solid and they have quite a good reseller section on there.

And of course http://amazon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;: Is always a great resource for writers I personally enjoy reading like S. Connolly, Michael Ford, B Morlan, etc etc

There is a book called The Power of Concentration by Theron Q Dumont that we HIGHLY recommend to learn to harness and maintain your focus and concentration. It gives exercises, explanations and the best part for me, it’s not an overwhelming size. Using it has allowed my workings to improve, my ability to retain information has increased, and meditations are easier.   Theron Dumont is a pen name for William Walker Atkinson and a list of his complete collection of books can be found here… viewtopic.php?f=101&t=5449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do not have to be a *proper Black Sorcerer* to practice and make magick part of your life! Or rather should i say, if you practice magick on any level, you are *proper* :) A good book that mixes neuroscience and magick is Brain Magick by Philip Farber. I really like this one- it may be worth you checking out! 

Other books that make incredible reads and can help you learn about the different paths and embrace different perspectives on this path are….

~ Phantasmagoria: A Compendium Of Monsters - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=3346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~ Black Magick Evocation of the Shem Ha Mephorash - G. De Laval viewtopic.php?f=101&t=2706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Witchblood Grail by Mark Alan Smith - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=2822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~The Equinox - Aleister Crowley
~Magick Without Tears - Aleister Crowley

***Really any of the books by Aleister Crowley can give you insights on his perspective but he is not for everyone.  

~ Esoteric Mind Power - Vernon Howard
~ Thomas Karlsson - Qabalah, Qliphoth and Goetic Magick
~ Lemegeton: Lesser Keys of Solomon
~ Heptameron, or Elements of Magick
~ Sacred Magick of Abramelin
~ Agrippa: Of Occult Philosophy (3 books)
~ Agrippa: fourth book of Occult Philosophy
~ Ars Notoria
~ The Grande Grimoire
~ Grimorium Vernum
~ Initiation to Hermetic - Franz Bardon

There are so many books.  Really not all these books are going to align with what you believe.  Many of these books do not align with my beliefs but they are good to learn about to build your foundation and learn about the different elements of magick, and also to learn more about what resonates with you and the direction that you wish to go. The best way to begin is to just start reading and challenging yourself to learn as much as you can. The more you learn the more you will find what resonates with you and before you know it you will have a solid foundation of knowledge and your path will open up to you!

If anyone on this thread wants to add books that really helped them on their path and had a positive impact on their journey please feel free to add them!
Lover of Demons
Royal Demon Goddess
Darling of Sublime Romance
Daughter of Demonic Macabre

Walk with Satan in Shadow
Rise with Azazel in Potential
Dance with Lucifer Under the Moon
Kneel before Mammon's Throne
Akelta
Goddess of the Void
Patron Deities: Satan, Lucifer, Mammon, Azazel, Andras, Paimon, Leviathan, Unsere, The Family
Your favourite Demon?: Tiger, High Prince H, Bear, Oblivion, Quasar, Prince V, Venom, Cadaver, My Family
Number of Demon Familiars: 66

Downloads for a lot of these books can be found on the blog, the public domain ones. For those who are curious ^_^

http://satanandsuns.com/blog/faq-how-do ... ut-magick/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lover of Demons
Royal Demon Goddess
Darling of Sublime Romance
Daughter of Demonic Macabre

Walk with Satan in Shadow
Rise with Azazel in Potential
Dance with Lucifer Under the Moon
Kneel before Mammon's Throne
Red6joker
Patron Deities: Lord Lucifer, Lady Scylla
Your favourite Demon?: Lord Lucifer, Lord Satan, all of my awesome companions
Number of Demon Familiars: 93

I'm glad you posted this. Some people just think they can't start getting into magic without someone indoctrinating them into some kind of order.
Floral

i very interesting at book, can someone tell me where buy pdf from that books ( ex :The Complete Book of Demonolatry by S. Connolly ) ?
Heidi

There are two books I'd recommend, which are the two books I wish someone had handed me when I had just started learning about magic (too bad they hadn't been written yet, lol):

1. "The Sorcerer's Secrets" by Jason Miller. Very good book for beginners and advanced practitioners alike, it is split into chapters that focus on different types of magic (divination, money, love, influence, protection etc). If you are a beginner, you will find in it things you can immediately use, and there are recommended books for each chapter, so that if you find something attractive and want to delve deeper into it, you immediately have a list of books to look into.

2. "Hands-on Chaos Magic" by Andrieh Vitimus. Covers pretty much everything from a chaos perspective. I highly recommend it, even if you aren't particularly attracted to chaos magic. The chapters with detailed exercises on energy manipulation are invaluable.

I believe these two cover everything you will need to understand any other more advanced book you may get your hands on later, and provide a great foundation no matter what path you may end up choosing in the future.
Pwnie

I wanna throw a recommendation and its for money magick.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

7 Occult Money Rituals: The Keys to Authentic Financial Magick by Henry Rich

What this book does is it helps KILL your lust or worry for money; its more so focused on the feeling and has money magick,but only after you do the first 4 rituals.

They use angels and God names, but this book is amazing.

They helped me get over my fear and worry and things are falling into place for me
Preston
Patron Deities: Pazuzu
Your favourite Demon?: Pazuzu
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

Thank you, I realize that some of the books you mentioned I was already reading them twice, the next book I will read are The Complete Book of Demonolatry by S. Connolly.
"Beware of getting rid of your demons, you may be getting rid of your best part"
"Be obedient to the spirits, that they will be obedient to you"
Oceanos
Patron Deities: Tiamat, Lucifer, Danu
Number of Demon Familiars: 4

Yes, as Preston mentioned the Demonolatry book sounds like a definite purchase, the rest are not really for me I feel, though I do have Brain magick already :) a past purchase hehe.
klaudia.l
Patron Deities: Ancestors and Spirit Guides

That's brilliant, thank you for sharing with us <3
Darth Moronius

book about psionic magic too, good to see energy work or somethig :bandit:

Return to “Frequently Asked Questions”