The Power of Words

Questions and Answers for where to begin on the Darker Spiritual Paths.

Moderator: Akelta

Anatel
Your favourite Demon?: DH, my twin
Number of Demon Familiars: 16

The Power of Words....

When first starting out on any path of magick, one of the first things we are taught (or SHOULD be taught) is the power of words. Im not just talking about Abracadabra here, though it is a very powerful word indeed. Im not just talking about incantations and fancy rhyming spells.

Im talking about words. What you say to people, how you interact with them. Especially when it comes to someone being on a magickal journey. We are all on a journey. Some of us are just peeping in for a look, just wanting a glimpse that there is more out there than the day to day reality of bills, drudgery of work, and material confines of society. some of us are lifers, always pursuing the ultimate hair raising experience , always toiling away and tweaking what we do to bring the best results, perpetual students after that alchemical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Whatever path you are on, the simple fact is, we are all learning.
The witching world can be fierce. Witches, i swear, sometimes ive never met a more petty bunch- i fully include myself in this statement. Sometimes, we hoard information that can help others, we sometimes smack down newbies or those seeking advice purely because we dont want them to know all the secrets out there, lest they best us or discover something we arent privvy to and resort to hoarding that information like nuggets of gold.. just like we do.

For those of us lifers out there, we've put in years of study, blood (some of us literally) , sweat, and tears.. time away from our families and friends to dedicate to perfecting our craft. We spend ridiculous hours in little hole in the wall temples acting like mad scientists trying to find the best energy resonations, the best way to achieve our desired results, recording every move we make, dissecting it later, observing, sensing, meditating, communing with our gods and companions, always learning always searching... sometimes while our whole outside world carries on around us.. and sometimes to the detriment of family, long suffering partners/spouses and friends. Then why do we do it? Because its in our blood. Its almost a compulsion. Its a passion. Being able to bend reality to our will is addictive and exciting. Knowing that you know something very few others, if any, know is heady stuff. We work HARD. We study HARD. We read until our eyes bleed and write our findings until our fingers have callouses and we have seventy eleventy notebooks filled with our rantings. Which, though theyd make little sense to the outsider, we covet and hoard like our own personal holy grails. To us,altars litter our homes. Only when a "muggle" comes in for the first time and stares, mouth agape at everything, do we realize just how outside of "normal society" we are (...or maybe thats just me hahaha).

I have a daughter of Satan in my family. She is an amazing black sorceress and teacher. A couple of years ago, she lectured me on the power of words and the pitfalls of ego. I have to admit, i brushed off a lot of what she said at the time. I find myself coming back to it a lot recently. She told me to be careful of my words. She explained to me that words were capable of great healing, power, and great destruction. "well duh.. " i thought. I had originally thought she meant with spellcasting. I spent the time after we had talked carefully constructing my words in my spells and incantations. Mindful of the intent behind them. Her actual meaning behind what she said had totally flown over my head. I spent so much time trying to perfect rituals, i totally glossed over the fact that her advice applies to daily life and the approach to other practitioners and budding new people whove taken that plunge to believe the impossible.
Ive come to realize that you can say something, whether it be a distortion of facts or discouragement, in the heat of jealousy or being territorial, and it can seriously hinder someones path. That person may have discovered something new, may have been able to offer a new perspective on something which opened other doors.. if only they were given correct info or even a a little encouragement to try. You can go on your daily life, forgetting the pettiness of your comments but for that person, like a stone being thrown in a pond, the ripples can affect their entire path.

Do you really want to face something like this, months even years down the line? To know that your words affected someone to the degree that you know you've hindered them? Trust me when i say, its a terrible feeling. This was why she was stressing the importance of choosing words carefully. Build up, encourage, support, not tear down. Im not saying to give all your secrets away, all the things you discovered that you want to keep close, but foundational information, to help others to explore just as you have, should be given so they can have the same joys of discovery that you've been allowed.

For those who are learning new things, for those souls new to any path whove taken the brave decision to look beyond what you can see to peep through the veil at whats really out there, dont let someone hinder your progress. Obviously, dont go kamikaze head first into something youre unsure of, for safety reasons... but dont let anyone tell you that you CANT do something or that you shouldnt.. unless theres a damn good reason, ie safety. If you try something and it doesnt happen like you want, start over. tweak what youre doing. If you get your ass handed to you, good. We all NEED that once in a while. It keeps us humble.
Age is a number and an attitude......and a measurement of how far you can toss your boobs- Akelta
Noctua
Patron Deities: Loki

Anatel wrote: For those of us lifers out there, we've put in years of study, blood (some of us literally) , sweat, and tears.. time away from our families and friends to dedicate to perfecting our craft. We spend ridiculous hours in little hole in the wall temples acting like mad scientists trying to find the best energy resonations, the best way to achieve our desired results, recording every move we make, dissecting it later, observing, sensing, meditating, communing with our gods and companions, always learning always searching... sometimes while our whole outside world carries on around us.. and sometimes to the detriment of family, long suffering partners/spouses and friends. Then why do we do it? Because its in our blood. Its almost a compulsion. Its a passion. Being able to bend reality to our will is addictive and exciting. Knowing that you know something very few others, if any, know is heady stuff. We work HARD. We study HARD. We read until our eyes bleed and write our findings until our fingers have callouses and we have seventy eleventy notebooks filled with our rantings. Which, though theyd make little sense to the outsider, we covet and hoard like our own personal holy grails. To us,altars litter our homes.
Who of you.. *raises hand*. Me. Lol.

And fantastic post. Every word, every action, every definition, so every manifestation we produce carries energy.. all things carry an inherent energy to them, so influence. The doingness and undoingness, the passive and aggressive, the forethought and afterthought..

Everything I do these days I have an idea of what influence and energy is attached to it, as I am doing it.. over time it can become very second nature to our consideration, and that in itself is power within the magickal world (to comprehend and enforce your will precisely, though so naturally).
"Do you even know that I know everything? I can see you like a.. sponge."
Daxflame

"No."
David Lynch
User5191
Your favourite Demon?: DW and the DF
Number of Demon Familiars: 10

Thank you for this, Anatel. These are all important lessons and helps us all to keep perspective. Humility really does go a long way, too. It's important to be proud of who you are. It's important to defend what you believe and call things as you see them with honesty. But it's equally important to accept that you don't know everything and that there are lessons to be learned from everyone. No matter how powerful, advanced, or dark you think you are. Thank you again, Anatel!
"Verily I say unto thee, thou shalt gaze upon my field of fucks, and ye shall see that it is barren." -Bathosias

"Allow me to quote myself" -Bathosias
Darth Moronius

Words are scary, especially for those who have learnt hypnosis, NLP, and the like...

But the hindering the path, it can depend on the people being talked to. For certain people, words of encouragement can make them lazy, while words like in bootcamp can motivate them. That's why it's not an easy issue...
User4964
Number of Demon Familiars: 0

:D Wonderful post, Anatel. It is quite appreciated.
Kharybdis
Patron Deities: Hel, Odin
Your favourite Demon?: Lilith, Leviathan
Number of Demon Familiars: 8

Very true. Words have power, in many ways. As other posts have said here, words can change your vibration to draw in abundance or to remove it. Words can empower yourself and others, as you have said, or weaken them and place blocks in their path. Frequently, I don't post in places and take the lurker approach aside from introductions because of this very thing. I can usually gain enough insight from those who have come before that I don't need to speak--and when I do, I would much prefer to talk to one of the "sources," rather than post at large, exactly because of this issue... but that is not always possible.

Words make me constantly second-guess myself in these situations, in seeking companionship and guidance on my path, because words have done so much to hurt in the past--myself and others.

But I also agree with outgast , in a way: sometimes we have to take the tougher approach with our words, because we can't let others grow complacent. Nothing irritates me more than "newbies" like myself who won't take the time to search the forum and read old threads before asking their questions and seeking new advice.

A very timely post.
EmpressM

It's almost like a microcosm-macrocosm thing, right? Magick-mundane, mundane-magick. It's all very interesting how lessons from one can be lessons from another. The lesson: "words have power" can be applied anywhere there are words, correct? Hehe
Eilana
Lady of Monsters
Your favourite Demon?: Ombre, Mammon, Swallowtail, Sizzle, Elegy
Number of Demon Familiars: 69

Wonderful post, thank you Anatel, this really resonated with me.
Anatel wrote:Build up, encourage, support, not tear down.
^This part particularly. I try to live by this.

It's weird I came across this now because I was just talking to someone earlier about people who tear others down. I saw someone do it not too long ago and I was like, why? Just why? ... The person I was speaking to pointed out that it upset me as much as it did because I had been attacked in the same way. I was like, yeah you're right ... I have. I know what it feels like so I would try never to do it to someone else. And it bothers me to see others do it.

Thank you for writing this up and sharing it with us :hug:
:death: :death: :death:

~ Burn the ships to take the island. ~

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
user1876
Patron Deities: Azazel Rosier
Your favourite Demon?: Azazel Satan Prince Mo Prince V Lucifer Mammon Belial Rosier Babael Paimon
Number of Demon Familiars: 26

Anatel wrote:The Power of Words....

When first starting out on any path of magick, one of the first things we are taught (or SHOULD be taught) is the power of words. Im not just talking about Abracadabra here, though it is a very powerful word indeed. Im not just talking about incantations and fancy rhyming spells.

Im talking about words. What you say to people, how you interact with them. Especially when it comes to someone being on a magickal journey. We are all on a journey. Some of us are just peeping in for a look, just wanting a glimpse that there is more out there than the day to day reality of bills, drudgery of work, and material confines of society. some of us are lifers, always pursuing the ultimate hair raising experience , always toiling away and tweaking what we do to bring the best results, perpetual students after that alchemical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Whatever path you are on, the simple fact is, we are all learning.
The witching world can be fierce. Witches, i swear, sometimes ive never met a more petty bunch- i fully include myself in this statement. Sometimes, we hoard information that can help others, we sometimes smack down newbies or those seeking advice purely because we dont want them to know all the secrets out there, lest they best us or discover something we arent privvy to and resort to hoarding that information like nuggets of gold.. just like we do.

For those of us lifers out there, we've put in years of study, blood (some of us literally) , sweat, and tears.. time away from our families and friends to dedicate to perfecting our craft. We spend ridiculous hours in little hole in the wall temples acting like mad scientists trying to find the best energy resonations, the best way to achieve our desired results, recording every move we make, dissecting it later, observing, sensing, meditating, communing with our gods and companions, always learning always searching... sometimes while our whole outside world carries on around us.. and sometimes to the detriment of family, long suffering partners/spouses and friends. Then why do we do it? Because its in our blood. Its almost a compulsion. Its a passion. Being able to bend reality to our will is addictive and exciting. Knowing that you know something very few others, if any, know is heady stuff. We work HARD. We study HARD. We read until our eyes bleed and write our findings until our fingers have callouses and we have seventy eleventy notebooks filled with our rantings. Which, though theyd make little sense to the outsider, we covet and hoard like our own personal holy grails. To us,altars litter our homes. Only when a "muggle" comes in for the first time and stares, mouth agape at everything, do we realize just how outside of "normal society" we are (...or maybe thats just me hahaha).

I have a daughter of Satan in my family. She is an amazing black sorceress and teacher. A couple of years ago, she lectured me on the power of words and the pitfalls of ego. I have to admit, i brushed off a lot of what she said at the time. I find myself coming back to it a lot recently. She told me to be careful of my words. She explained to me that words were capable of great healing, power, and great destruction. "well duh.. " i thought. I had originally thought she meant with spellcasting. I spent the time after we had talked carefully constructing my words in my spells and incantations. Mindful of the intent behind them. Her actual meaning behind what she said had totally flown over my head. I spent so much time trying to perfect rituals, i totally glossed over the fact that her advice applies to daily life and the approach to other practitioners and budding new people whove taken that plunge to believe the impossible.
Ive come to realize that you can say something, whether it be a distortion of facts or discouragement, in the heat of jealousy or being territorial, and it can seriously hinder someones path. That person may have discovered something new, may have been able to offer a new perspective on something which opened other doors.. if only they were given correct info or even a a little encouragement to try. You can go on your daily life, forgetting the pettiness of your comments but for that person, like a stone being thrown in a pond, the ripples can affect their entire path.

Do you really want to face something like this, months even years down the line? To know that your words affected someone to the degree that you know you've hindered them? Trust me when i say, its a terrible feeling. This was why she was stressing the importance of choosing words carefully. Build up, encourage, support, not tear down. Im not saying to give all your secrets away, all the things you discovered that you want to keep close, but foundational information, to help others to explore just as you have, should be given so they can have the same joys of discovery that you've been allowed.

For those who are learning new things, for those souls new to any path whove taken the brave decision to look beyond what you can see to peep through the veil at whats really out there, dont let someone hinder your progress. Obviously, dont go kamikaze head first into something youre unsure of, for safety reasons... but dont let anyone tell you that you CANT do something or that you shouldnt.. unless theres a damn good reason, ie safety. If you try something and it doesnt happen like you want, start over. tweak what youre doing. If you get your ass handed to you, good. We all NEED that once in a while. It keeps us humble.
'' Great post Anatel you are right in Saying their is power in our Words ' I had to find that out for myself that words indeed hurt if you are using them ' to hurt people just to be mean are haterful because you can ' that's how I use to be people hurt me in many ways , and I took it out on everybody that I came across no matter who they where but now I am working hard to change that side of me ' that wanted to hurt every body . with the help of my demon companions things are coming together more each day . what I learned about myself is if your not happy then ' how can you be treat others like a person should be treated if you don't like yourself then you want like others no matter who they are real change starts with you loving yourself is the best place to start its working for me now thanks again for a wonderful post :D
I Have Won Sinner Of The Month Five Times Now ' My Grandmother Always Said either Stand For Something are You Will Fall for Anything ' I am not Just Walking My path . I am Living it !

Return to “Starting out on the LHP and the Dark Spiritual Paths”